Sunday, June 18, 2006

Namo Yeshu Ya

Several years ago, I was traveling through India and sat in on a teaching at the library of the Dalai Lama's temple in Dharamsala. He was talking about "refuge taking" which is the milestone of initiation into Tibetan Buddhism. He spoke of it as placing one's faith completely in the three jewels: the Buddha (as teacher) the Dharma (the teaching) and the Sangha (the Buddhist community). When taking this vow, one would say "namo _____ ya" (insert each of the jewels). As he spoke, urging the many westerners to take seriously the nature of conversion as a total and complete surrender of faith, I realized how Tibetan Buddhism is not just an ornamental idea that many here in the West like to think it is. No, it claims to give insight into the nature of reality and is a complete system through which to view all of life.

This convicted me to take seriously my own discipleship as one who has taken refuge in Jesus (Yeshu):

  • Am I truly trusting in Jesus, finding my refuge in His eternal love and faithfulness toward me? Or am I looking to myself or other people for my sense of security and worth? Am I letting the depths of the mystery of the gospel strengthen and nurture my soul daily? Or am I distracted by the cares of life around me?

  • Am I truly trusting His teachings, allowing them to guide and interpret all of my experiences, or only in certain moments when I'm studying or in moments of reflection? When Jesus says, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" or "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven" do I let the weight of these words pierce my soul and change my priorities and relationships? Or do I gloss over them as "hard sayings" and move on? By seeing the devotion of modern disciples to their gurus/teachers in India, I have a new model for the depth of discipleship we are called to as believers. I want to hang on every word of my Perfect Teacher, seeing them as jewels of purest truth to continually challenge and encourage and transform me into His image.

  • Am I truly living as a part of the Christian community with faith that we are truly Christ's body, the temple of God here on this broken planet? Or am I annoyed and frustrated with the church, giving up on His plan and scheming to come up with my own?
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home